01892 680 090

Fire safety for student dwellings

What was your student house like when you was at university, was is clean, tidy and fitted with smoke detectors and fire sprinklers? Fat chance! Bet you took risks with safety and didn’t give it a second thought, that’s what being a student is all about. Think of the dangers you got away with though, at one point in the future it could be your son or daughter going to university and sharing a house, bet you wouldn’t want them to come any harm. Extra care should be taken in shared houses, if you know a student that’s living in a bedsit, see if they take any of these safety measures seriously.

Extinguish cigarettes – Smoking is bad for your health in more ways than one. A high percentage of house fires are caused by people falling asleep with a lit cigarette in bed or sat on the sofa at night. Drink is normally involved too. Whether you live in a shared house or not, always extinguish a cigarette before you retire for the night.

Take care with chip pans – It’s a brave person that introduces a chip pan to a student house. These things can be lethal in the wrong hands. Get back from the student bar after having one to many and it seems a great idea to fry a pan of chips. Chips pans deserve greater respect though. Only cook with half a pan of oil, never set the heat too high and never leave the pan on its own. If the pan catches fire, turn off the heat and place a wet tea towel over the top to smother the flames, if it’s safe to do so.

Watch portable heaters – Gas heaters are a good method to heat a student room but you have to treat them with care. Get them serviced regularly so you know they are safe, never put anything too close to the heater and make sure they won’t topple over when they are switched on.

These are just a few fire safety tips for shared houses. If you are moving into a student house this year please take care, have fun, just stay safe as well.

Diligent & a very professional team. A joy to deal with. Will certainly be calling on them to help with many more future schemes.
Jason Tema
22:17 08 Jul 19
Great team, fitting sprinklers, saving lives & property... What more could you wish for!!!
Colin P
17:53 01 Jul 17
Excellent company & great service... This company rocks! They sprinkle fires & save lives!!!
Music N Videoz
07:15 16 Dec 16
As somebody who feels that it should be a necessity for all properties to have fire sprinkler systems, I am a big fan of this company. I have used them numerous times to service my home system and they are very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend their service.
Kate Fraser
09:25 30 Mar 15
One look at Rad Fire Sprinkler's website will tell you that these guys know exactly what they are talking about when it comes to Fire Sprinklers and the legislation surrounding fire safety. A very trustworthy company.
Adam Hudson
16:45 15 Nov 13

Our Services Cover London & South East

Map

Map

Address

RAD Fire Sprinklers Ltd.
58A St John’s Road
Tunbridge Wells, TN4 9NY

Mon – Fri: 8AM – 5PM

Tel: 01892 680 090

Follow us

Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter

OUR NEWS

Contact Us

Feel free to enter your details below and we will email our PDF guide to you straight away.
  • Your details will not be shared with anyone outside RAD.