Another Disaster Averted by One of Our Systems
Two days ago a fire started within the stairwell of a home for adolescents in North London. The ensuing fire was quickly extinguished by one fire sprinkler head. The cover plate for a second sprinkler head had been released in preparation for the second head to active. The second head didn’t deploy because the temperature began to reduce due to the activation of the first sprinkler head.
No water was delivered from the second head because as a 2-stage devise, the heat hadn’t reached the trigger point.
This was the first activation within this particular care home however, our system has extinguished 2 fires on separate occasions in another property which our customer operates within London.
Regarding these activation’s, our customer claimed that “your sytem was the best investment that we have made” after the first activation 5 years ago. On that occasion the fire started in the room of a teenage resident in the corner of the room where a computer table was positioned and a plastic chair had melted in the heat.
The heat from the burning chair had activated the concealed sprinkler head which was approximately two meters away from the seat of the fire. The fire had been extinguished before the flames had even singed a curtain that was hanging above the table at a distance of approximately 40 cm from the seat of the fire.
On both occasions, there was a small amount of residual water damage but this was completely outweighed by the fact that both of the homes were re-opened within a couple of days.
The consequence of not having sprinklers would have been far higher damage from the resulting fire and a much larger quantity of water damage when the Fire and Rescue services had attended.
The second activation within the same home occurred about 2 years ago when a clothes dryer within a utility room caught fire.