Info for Mechanical & Plumbing Contractors
Mechanical & Plumbing Contractors
RAD Fire Sprinklers are often involved with mechanical and plumbing contractors when installing residential fire sprinkler systems in larger projects like high rise buildings and care homes, where the fire sprinkler system has been included in the general services building package. We have also worked directly with main contractors/developers like Berkeley Homes, Guinness Trust, Criterian Capital, United Living Etc.
The Residential Fire Sprinkler aspect of the package can sometimes pose a problem for an M&E consultant who, understandably, may not have much experience of these systems. Plumbing companies can also be expected to include a sprinkler system as part of their package and find themselves dealing with an area they are not familiar with.
Generally, we use a flame-proof system from America called Blazemaster which has the advantage of being light and easy to handle.
We are more than happy to provide our advise and expertise and are used to liaising with fire officers, on such projects.
Common technical questions asked by plumbers and engineers:
- Does the property require a full or partial domestic fire sprinkler suppression system?
- What type of storage system will be required if the town main is not sufficient?
- What quantity of water will be required?
- Can the firesprinkler system be supplied from the cold water boosted main?
- At what point do we instruct a Fire sprinkler contractor to commence 1st fix?
- If the system cannot be connected to the town main, how much stored water will be required, what do the water tanks weigh and where can they be installed?
- Is the pipework flexible?
- How big is the pipework and can it be concealed?
- On high rise projects, what is the fire alarm requirement for the fire sprinkler system?
Points to consider prior to instructing an installer:
What accreditation does the installation company have?
- Does the company specialise solely in residential fire sprinkler systems? – many companies have seen the industry as promising and are ‘dabbling’ in it or just sub-contracting the work. We concentrate entirely on Residential sprinkler systems
- How many years have they been installing these systems? We have been operating for many years exclusively in this field.
- What exactly are you being quoted for? Is there an alarm system included? What sort of pump and does it self-test?
- Are all their installers employed by the company suitably trained? All our installers are given intensive training and are instructed to work closely with the site foreman. We don’t generally sub-contract any work to 3rd parties
- Beware of false promises that a system can run from the mains water supply especially in retrofits. We give an accurate appraisal and are not afraid of losing work to companies who win work with a cheap price then throw in extras as the job progresses or even claim that the water supply is not adequate once they are on site!
- How close is the Fire Sprinkler Installation company to the project? We don’t send teams of installers all over the country then struggle to keep up with ongoing site issues. We provide a full CAD design service and are experienced when it comes to integrating our system with other services within the building – Read what some of our clients have said about RAD.
Give us a call on 01892 680090 or e-mail us and we will gladly discuss your requirements with you… We don’t employ sales staff.